Monday Night Quilting

/ Monday 5 October 2009 /
Yesterday, I went into my place of work, which happens to be a university.  It was a Sunday afternoon, and no one was around, but me and my pal Lindsay, who is learning to quilt.  We both brought our quilt tops and various other quiltesque accoutrements into an empty classroom that had the most wonderful four by eight foot tables.  We each pushed two of those tables together, so we both had glorious 8 foot square spaces to work on.  In all my years of quilting, this is the first time I have had that much space to spread out, without bending over on the floor.  It was seriously awesome!  It made the whole quilt sandwich construction thing a piece of yummy chocolate cake!  We used the spray basting, but as I am by nature a pessimist, we pinned, as well.  Lindsay was working on a sweet baby quilt from a Denyse Schmidt pattern, and I was assembling the Blue Meanies quilt, with a pieced backing that I'm not prepared to show at the moment.
Machine quilting
Tonight I started quilting it.  I'm trying a sticks-and-boxes kind of effect, quite different from what I've done before.  We'll see how it turns out.  This is the part where I always feel a bit daunted at how much there is to do.  I filled four bobbins to begin, but was appalled to see how little acreage one bobbin's worth is.  Felt like I'd hardly made a dent.  Oh well.  We'll get there.

2 comments:

{ Cheryl Arkison } on: 8 October 2009 at 14:58 said...

Love that quilting pattern!
And Shh, I use the board room tables at work as well to baste.

{ Lindsay } on: 8 October 2009 at 23:09 said...

Hooray for 8' square of table space! I gotta get quilting that sucker now... probably after my mom visits, though.

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by - I'd love to hear what you think, so please leave me a comment!

Popular Posts

Modern Day Quilts
 
Copyright © 2010 Stitch Literate, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger