Decisions, decisions

/ Wednesday 3 February 2010 /
I am in three virtual quilt bees this year. So far I have been making blocks for others, but my month in the Modern Tradition quilt bee is coming up: March, to be exact. That means I have to decide what blocks I want the other members to make for me and distribute the fabric and instructions among them.
 I've about decided I want to use this panel from Anna Maria Horner's Little Folks voile collection for my blocks. Each panel comes printed with 16 small (6") blocks and four large (12") blocks. Here's a better view of the pattern on the small block.
Little Folks voile panel
I haven't decided, though, what kind of blocks to go with. Right now there are a couple of options that I'm considering, both yielding blocks about 14" in size. One is a wonky log cabin kind of thing, with the 6" block in the centre, natch. Sort of like this, or the bento box approach, like this (imagine this flower block where the unicorn is). What's nice about this is that it gives the bee members more scope for creativity, etc.

But this is the Modern Tradition bee, wherein we think about using traditional blocks with modern twists or modern fabrics.  So the other option is a more traditional block, adapted to feature the block in the centre. For example, here is a picture of a traditional bear paw, which could be drafted so that the voile block is in the centre and each "paw" has a bit of the corner cut out, to set the voile block in the centre.   It would sort of give the effect of rays coming out of the four corners of the voile block.  That would be more structured, more in keeping with the traditional aspect of our bee, but will it show the voile block to the best advantage?  I'm sorry I don't have sample blocks made up - that would be best for decision-making, of course, but I don't want to sacrifice the voile. What do you think?   I could go with the more wonky one for one of my other bees, if the voile doesn't work in the traditional pattern - my month for the Maple Leaf bee is April, and there is no organizing theme for that bee.  Then the issue will be what block to choose for March.  Life is so complicated!

13 comments:

{ Unknown } on: 3 February 2010 at 08:19 said...

I am sure whatever you will choose to do with this panel, it will be gorgeous! That is just the prettiest print.

{ Dee } on: 3 February 2010 at 08:29 said...

Just in love with this print! Have you perused traditinal blocks online or in a book?

I'm clueless. I liked your first two suggestions, but, as you said, traditional blocks are the theme.

Scratching my head here!

{ Thelma } on: 3 February 2010 at 09:27 said...

What about a buzzsaw block for half the 6 inch panels and half left alone. When they are set you could see the design in the buzzsaw based on the uncut panels. You could pick a different companion color for each buzzsaw....I may come up with something else, that's my first try!

{ Claudia } on: 3 February 2010 at 09:51 said...

The panel is so beautiful just the way it is, I have a hard time imagining it cut up but...you could make an old fashioned basket pattern with it and incorporate the bouquet into the block.

Whatever you do, I know it will be interesting.

{ Leanne } on: 3 February 2010 at 12:43 said...

Lesly - I love love this fabric (and probably have too much of it). I think that whatever you choose will be fab but my votes for the bento box. I know that we are suppose to be all traditional and stuff but I think the centre would look fantastic in that kind of block.

{ SueWis } on: 3 February 2010 at 16:15 said...

I love this panel! I would probably hem it and make it a tablecloth, so don't listen to me. :)

{ Cheryl Arkison } on: 3 February 2010 at 17:18 said...

Tough choie, because at that size it could be used for the center of nearly any block.

One suggestion would be to modify the bento idea. Make a 1/4 of a bento box. Put the voile in one corner and only have borders on the two sides to get to the desired finished block size.

Another idea, to add a half square trianle border to each block. Or flying geese?

I'm not helping, am I? Just throwing more ideas out there.

{ My Life In Stitch } on: 3 February 2010 at 17:28 said...

Lesly I'm with Leanne on this and you could try it with traditional fabrics to keep in with our theme. Can't wait to receive my package whatever you decide on.

{ Rene' } on: 3 February 2010 at 21:28 said...

Lesly, that is beautiful fabric. Of the links you included, I like the Bento Box best. The bear paw is great too and traditional like you said. I'm sure whatever you decide will be great.

{ elle } on: 3 February 2010 at 23:02 said...

Your voile is beautiful. It could be the traditional part. It could be the centre of a traditional block but perhaps the block should be flower related. The fabric also leans toward a frame so blocks like log cabin, square in a square, puss in the corner, can easily be adapted to the more modern interpretation. Or perhaps you need to decide whether the modern part will be accomplished thru fabrics or thru the block setting. Hope this helps. I'll be very interested to see how this developes.

Anonymous on: 4 February 2010 at 15:28 said...

Oooh, I like that bento box link!

I agree with Elle - the fabric looks traditional, so perhaps the block style could be modern?

Although if this is the bee related to the Modify Tradition blog then it does seem to be more about modern interpretations of traditional blocks rather than using traditional fabric in modern blocks.

Sorry, I haven't been any help really, have I! I think my vote would be to keep the fabric for bento boxes with your other bee!

{ Katie B } on: 4 February 2010 at 21:59 said...

The bento box is my favorite for sure. I love this fabric and am interested to see what you do with it.

{ wishes, true and kind } on: 6 February 2010 at 11:02 said...

I so love this fabric line! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by - I'd love to hear what you think, so please leave me a comment!

Popular Posts

Modern Day Quilts
 
Copyright © 2010 Stitch Literate, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger