Fantasy in the Forest

/ Monday 19 July 2010 /
I went to a little art show this weekend called Fantasy in the Forest.
torso
It was out on one of the many lakes that surround Kingston.  We drove out towards Perth Road Village and parked in a farmer's field.  The artist who was hosting the show had arranged for shuttles to drive from the parking area to the cabin where the displays were, about a kilometer or more along very narrow, twisty roads deep into the woods.
Birch trees
The artists had set up their tents along the shore of the lake.  It was a beautiful setting.
coneflowers
The artists weren't keen on having their wares photographed, so these are mainly photos of the cottage and the lake where the show was held.
hidden in the brush
water lily
Look at this big spider on this coneflower!
scary spider
They had a little cafe set up on the screened in porch where you could get homemade pie and lemonade.  Or you could buy grilled sausage that was cooked in this amazing dragon barbecue!
insane outdoor grill 
In keeping with the theme, there were quite a few artisans who created fairy or fantasy-esque pieces.

These are not really my cup of tea, but, while the subject matter was not interesting to me, the talent and creativity that went into them was impressive.  My favourite thing was not for sale.  These photos show little seedpods that were growing outside one of the studio buildings.  Less than an inch in diameter, they had been carved with little faces!
carved seepod
carved seedpod
carved seedpod
And in sewing news, I finished the last of the blocks I need to make the flower garden quilt that the Modern Tradition quilt bee helped me with.  There are no photos, but with the blessing, I'll put the top together in the next couple of days.  I'm excited to see how it looks all together!

6 comments:

Anonymous on: 19 July 2010 at 07:42 said...

I saw those seedpods in your Flickr feed and wondered about their story. They are pretty amazing!

I can't wait to see the MTQB quilt top!

{ Chartreuse Moose } on: 19 July 2010 at 08:16 said...

Thank you for the lovely armchair travel! The seedpods are amazing...what a fun surprise to discover!

{ Dee } on: 19 July 2010 at 09:24 said...

Can't wait to see the new blocks and whatever else you're working on!

The seedpods are my favorite!

{ Sarah Craig } on: 19 July 2010 at 09:40 said...

Looks like you had a fun time! I love those seed pods!!

{ Itchin' Stitchin' } on: 20 July 2010 at 14:40 said...

WOW wonderful place - Love the seedpods!

{ Michael Wurm Jr } on: 20 July 2010 at 20:47 said...

the little faces are amazing! unreal! i love creative and imaginative people!

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by - I'd love to hear what you think, so please leave me a comment!

Popular Posts

Modern Day Quilts
 
Copyright © 2010 Stitch Literate, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger