Some things are worth waiting for

/ Thursday 21 March 2013 /
EPQ_STAR_QUILT_FULL

In the summer of 2010 (if I recall correctly), I was looking for a hand piecing project. I had never done any significant hand sewing but I wanted something I could work on while watching television in the evenings. Jessica suggested I try English paper piecing, and on her blog I saw some of her spectacular quilts made with this technique.  I decided to try it - I was particularly happy with the way it could use up some of my tiniest scraps. Here's what I produced the first month.
one month's worth of diamonds
Several people have said that EPP is addictive. It certainly was in my case! I was surprised at how quickly the little stars went together. I assembled them the way Jessica showed in a little video that was on her blog, and like her, I used the plastic Quilt Patis templates. I made every star out of the same print, but used many different light diamonds for the  background. I really like how I was able to use some of the oldest fabrics from the early  '90s in my stash.  Here are a few progress shots over the course of the 14 months it took me to make the quilt.  A couple of the photos of the completed quilt top have been widely Pinned; if only they could see it now!
Looking up at the stars

Backlit diamonds

Untitled

DSC_0925

DSC_0932

Jessica is such an EPP maven who has made so many beautiful quilts that it's no surprise that she was asked to write a book on EPP for Quarto Press. What was a surprise was that she asked me to share my quilt in the book, as well. After I finished piecing the top, it had been sitting around for several months. This gave me the impetus to get it finally sewn up. This was also the first quilt I had professionally quilted; it was done by the so-talented Shannon Baker. When it came home, I nearly fell over. I couldn't stop touching it! I took some photos, but I knew it had to keep a low profile. I do get annoyed when people say "I've been working on something top secret that I can't tell you about". I put one picture up on Flickr but didn't say much about it. Jess has made the announcement about the book so I can now show off my quilt! I admit it's been hard to keep quiet about it! These are some of my photos.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

It was agonizing to send the quilt off to London to be photographed for the book! So far away and so many possibilities for going astray!  They kept it for ages, but when they sent it back, they included some high res photos on a CD for me. I had made a little label using the alphabet letters on my machine, and they seemed to like this a lot. There must have been six or seven shots of the label alone. It wasn't even well done - my machine didn't seem to like the word "Ontario". Never mind. I'm including it here so you can see the Kaffe Fassett fabric I chose for the back. These are the photos taken by Quarto's photographer (I'm sorry, I don't know his or her name); the photo at the top of the post is theirs, too.

EPQ_QUILT-09

EPQ_QUILT-08

EPQ_QUILT-06

EPQ_QUILT-05

EPQ_QUILT_OPENERS 3

Untitled

Edited to add: Sharp-eyed Jess noticed this little purple bit on the lower left corner in the photo above and wondered about it. When I was straightening up the edges before binding the quilt, the edges on the left and right had to be trimmed (e.g., whole hexagons cut in half), but the top and bottom had a more or less straight edge right from the paper piecing. However, I had forgotten to add the last little light triangle on that side, so I just used some of the binding fabric to cover the bit of batting that was peeking through.

30366

If you want to learn EPP and how to make a quilt like this and many other things using this portable and addictive technique, be on the lookout for Jess's book Quilting on the Go. Published by Potter Craft, it will be available in June (if you are in the UK/Europe, look for it earlier and published by Search Press)!


18 comments:

{ Selfsewn } on: 21 March 2013 at 05:56 said...

Definitely worth the wait!
You were brave, I didnt let them have mine,
I know what British delivery systems are like!
Love the stain window shots!

{ Little Island Quilting } on: 21 March 2013 at 08:03 said...

Richly deserved. I think you have a wonderful eye for colour.
Oh, and I completely agree with your 'I can't talk/show you...' comments!!

Big fat WELL DONE!

{ Prof. S (the enchanted bobbin) } on: 21 March 2013 at 08:57 said...

Congratulations! It really is a magnificent quilt...I love the variety in the background fabrics, just delicious :) The photos are gorgeous too! xx J

{ Cindy Sharp } on: 21 March 2013 at 09:04 said...

Fantastic!

{ Jessica } on: 21 March 2013 at 09:19 said...

Thank you, Lesly, for letting me show off this fantastic quilt in my book! I only regret that I never got to see it in person~

{ teresa } on: 21 March 2013 at 09:21 said...

Congrats! that is really exciting ~ and your quilt is a treasure

{ Jennifer Wingard } on: 21 March 2013 at 13:18 said...

Oh, it's so wonderful. It was this quilt top that finally convinced me to try EPP. I'd never had any interest in it before because I'm terrible at hand sewing, but as soon as I saw the pictures of this quilt top on your clothes line, I knew I had to give it a try. I'm quickly becoming addicted as well. :) What a fantastic finish!

{ Mina } on: 21 March 2013 at 15:23 said...

This is beautiful!

{ Glenda } on: 21 March 2013 at 19:50 said...

How exciting to have your quilt IN A BOOK! Such an amazing quilt. Truly inspiring. The title of the book made me smile. It reminded me of something that happened a few years ago.
Before hitting the road, my sister-in-law nipped into our bathroom.
We were startled moments later to hear a shriek followed reassuringly by laughter.
When she emerged, she was clutching a book.
Quilt as You Go.

{ MariQuilts } on: 21 March 2013 at 23:27 said...

Your quilt is amazingly beautiful.....congrats on having it in the book.

{ tusen } on: 22 March 2013 at 03:29 said...

Congratulations, it's beautiful.

{ Carla } on: 22 March 2013 at 11:44 said...

It's so very beautiful. When I finish my grandmothers flower garden I'm planning to give paper pieced stars a try. Your quilt is so inspiring!

{ Svarta Malin } on: 22 March 2013 at 14:58 said...

B E A U T I F U L ! !

{ Pokey } on: 23 March 2013 at 02:29 said...

What a beauty! I loved every photo you shared, so many perfect little colorful stars! I've done a bit of epp, but you have me itching to do some more. You have a family heirloom here ~
:-}pokey

{ Cheryl Arkison } on: 26 March 2013 at 14:11 said...

It all looks so wonderful! Congratulations.

Anonymous on: 28 March 2013 at 22:11 said...

I was able to find good advice from your blog articles.


Check out my weblog; Deer Velvet spray

{ Karee } on: 1 April 2013 at 12:20 said...

Amazing! Congratulations.

{ Dara } on: 9 April 2013 at 23:21 said...

I have been wanting to do one of these for a very long time. It is amazing!

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by - I'd love to hear what you think, so please leave me a comment!

Popular Posts

Modern Day Quilts
 
Copyright © 2010 Stitch Literate, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger